Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fondant Cake

This was my first paid baking lesson! It did not come cheap but I have been wanting to learn fondant cake for sometime. Therefore, I was really looking forward to the class.

Somehow, it was such a disappointment the first time I stepped into the house. The trainer does not come across to me as a friendly person. I was asked to be seated anywhere around the working table with some of the participants who have arrived earlier. It was most awkward, there were no official introductions amongst us. It was dead silent when no one was asking the trainer any questions. At that instant, I just can't help comparing the fun baking times I had with my own friends ! This will probably be my first and last paid course to learn in a home. I do not mind learning in Poon Huat or other baking centers though.

Despite the rather unpleasant start, some of the participants were actually quite nice. I was grateful to the two ladies in my team as they seems to be quite experience and helpful. These were the sponge cake baked by our team. We just simply followed the sponge cake recipe and handled this part by ourselves.
 
Using ready-made rolled fondant to shape the hippo body parts. I was really grateful to the slim lady besides me who helped me along with moulding the parts. She has very nimble hands and I really felt that she was my trainer instead. Thumbs up !

My rather ugly hippo taking her lazy shower ... some friends said it was cute but you should have seen the beautiful figures made by other participants. It just made mine looked out of place.

I brought my cake to my Ah Gu's house. Ah Gu thought the shower was a lamp post ...lol

Taking some photos before we destroy the cake !

The painstakingly moulded hippo, bubbles, hair-dryer, towel, radio were removed so that the cake was easier to cut. The sponge cake was a bit dry but it was the butter cream was very fragrant.

That was all for fondant cake. I will definitely go for a easier design in future. This hippo fondant cake took about 5.5 hours to complete.