The cake did not turned out as pretty ... in fact it looked weird and we started to laugh. I did not have a smaller round baking tin so I guessed the batter was spread over a larger pan which resulted in a odd-shaped cake !
Anyhow, the man has his cake and ate it too ! He seems satisfied with the taste and said it was nice ..I just felt that the cake should be softer .. this might due to the fact that I did not put in any ovalette. (I do not have this in my collections by the way) In addition, the vanilla essence completely killed the natural flavour of this Ji Dan Gao ...
Ji Dan Gao
(Adapted from The Little Teochew's blog)
- 4 large eggs
- 210g caster sugar
- 230g low gluten flour, sifted (eg, Cake Flour or Top Flour)
- 1 tsp ovalette (recommended)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp ice-cream soda or 7-Up
1.
Whisk the eggs and sugar till creamy and stiff. The mixture should look
a very pale yellow and the volume should double. In baking terms, beat
till "ribbon stage". (I'll suggest you use electric mixer as it can be quite laborious using hands to whisk till you achieve the "ribbon stage")
2. Add in ovalette and vanilla extract.
3.
Fold in the flour in thirds, alternating with the soda, and ending with
flour. I had sifted my cake flour 3 times prior, to give make it light
and airy.
4. Pour mixture into a bamboo steamer
lined with greaseproof paper (I used my 6-inch baking tin, lined, and
it turned out well too).
5. Steam the cake on high, for about 20-30 mins (I steamed for 30 mins).
6. Ensure that the cake is cooled before cutting, else it will crumble.
